NIRS is Hiring – Digital Campaigns Specialist
Nuclear Information and Resource Service is a national organization working for a nuclear-free, carbon-free world. We have been the national hub for grassroots activists opposing nuclear power and radioactive waste, and fighting for sustainable energy, since 1978. We are leading campaigns to phase out nuclear power; advance climate justice and 100% renewable energy; block the mass transportation and dumping of radioactive waste; and protect the public from exposure to radiation. At the national level, NIRS works with a broad range of environmental, social justice, climate action, and good government organizations, and brings the voices of local and grassroots activists into the national debate.
We are seeking a Digital Campaigns Specialist to lead our online advocacy and digital communications strategies. We are looking for someone to drive online organizing and activism across various campaigns and platforms; manage our website, communications, social media platforms; assist with online fundraising campaigns; and support projects to increase awareness of nuclear power and expand our activist base.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer, campaigner, and tactician with a record of success using online tools to tell the story of a campaign and organize people into action. She/He/They will have the opportunity to help develop and implement communications strategies for a national organization on the leading edge of the anti-nuclear, environmental, and energy democracy movements. A strong commitment to environmental and social justice is a must, as are creative problem-solving and a balance of collaborative work style and self-supervision.
The position is full-time, with employer-paid health care and other benefits.
- Digital Communications & Management: Draft, submit for review, proof, and coordinate the scheduling of national, state and local action alerts, e-appeals, SMS alerts, social media posts, and other digital campaign materials.
- Help plan and execute our strategy to grow the size and influence of NIRS’s online activist base, toward achieving campaign, organizational, and fundraising goals.
- Coordinate with other NIRS program staff to advance our digital campaigns, and support staff in using online advocacy tools and digital strategy.
- Develop partnerships and creative online tactics to build our audience and raise funds.
- Develop and execute tests to increase performance and report findings.
- Increase Supporter Engagement: Communicate with the goal of deepening identity and involvement of supporters in campaigns.
- Manage online supporter database and advocacy platform, including occasionally technical aspects requiring basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and other web standards.
- Expand Online Fundraising: Identify and maximize online fundraising opportunities and support crowdfunding and other campaigns to expand our online donor base.
- Develop Publication Platforms: Publish NIRS’s website and blog, and promote NIRS’s international news bulletin, the Nuclear Monitor, which we publish jointly with the World Information Service on Energy.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop overall communications strategy.
- Work with program staff to support their communications needs and online action strategies.
- Develop digital campaign tactics or communications projects to tell the story of a campaign and engage activists.
- Participate in planning and executing other NIRS events and activities, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Exceptional writing skills for a variety of channels and audiences.
- Take initiative to develop new skills and try innovative tactics.
- At least 2 years of experience planning and executing online campaign tactics using a digital toolset (email, social media, advertising, blogs, etc.).
- Familiarity with the metrics of online organizing and ability to analyze data and extract conclusions.
- Ability to plan and implement multiple, complex projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to a progressive values of racial, gender, social, environmental, and economic justice and appreciation of how issues intersect.
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- HTML, CSS, web development, WordPress theme development.
- Design software: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and others.
- Photography and video production.
- Fluency in Spanish.
Compensation: Salary range is $50-55,000. Competitive benefits package, including 100% employer-paid health care insurance, as well as life insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, family and medical leave, and professional development.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in Takoma Park, MD. Some evening/weekend hours and travel are required.
Availability: We seek to have the successful candidate start by October 1, 2018.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, references, and two writing samples (1-4 pages each) in Microsoft Word or PDF format to nirs [at] nirs [dot] org.