Let Congress Know:
NO RECESS from Nuclear Waste–STOP False Solutions NOW!
Your Congressmembers are back home ‘til September 9, so this is a great time to pay them a visit! Here are quick, easy steps you can take to make sure your House Rep and Senator do the right thing.
- Find your House Rep and Senators. (click here)
- Deliver your message.
- Download and print materials. (links below)
- Visit your Rep and Senators’ local offices – ask for a meeting, and/or drop off your letter.
- Go to a town hall meeting – find one here.
- Report back to NIRS – just fill out this form.
- Download and print the letter – and be sure to add in your Congressmember’s name/s. Also, at the end of the letter, add your name, signature, and the contact information you would like to provide to them.
- Print it out and display at town hall meetings and rallies.
Congress is attempting to push nuclear waste legislation that threatens nearly every state with decades of intensely radioactive shipments.
If passed, these bills would actually increase the dangers of nuclear waste:
RESTART the failed Yucca Mountain (NV) site as a nuclear dump, despite volcanoes, earthquakes, groundwater, and violations of environmental justice.
CREATE enormous, taxpayer-funded nuclear waste parking-lots–which could easily become de facto permanent, ground-level dumps, certain to fail and cause another crisis years down the road.
TRIGGER thousands of intensely radioactive shipments on our roads, rails and waterways, for decades.
WEAKEN environmental and safety requirements for this deadly waste.
There’s no “recess” from radioactive waste for the next million years. So Congress isn’t going to get a RECESS from us until they stop these dangerous bills. We need real solutions to nuclear waste, not false promises.
BACKGROUND and RESOURCES
Nuclear Waste Transportation Routes
(based on Yucca Mountain – similar for CIS)
- Estimated Shipments for Each State
- State Transport Route Maps
- City Transport Route Maps
- List of Congressional Districts with Transport Routes
Yucca and CIS Legislation
Some of the nuclear waste bills Congress is considering are:
“Nuclear Waste Policy Amendments Act of 2019”
- House version – H. R. 2699
- Senate version – Environment and Public Works Committee Discussion Draft Bill
Backgrounders on Nuclear Waste
- Nuclear Basics: High Level Radioactive Waste
- Hot Cargo: Radioactive Waste Transportation
- Yucca Mountain in Brief
- Consolidated “Interim” Storage of High-Level Radioactive Waste