Nuclear Information and Resource Service is a national organization working for a nuclear-free, carbon-free world. We have been the national hub for grassroots activists opposing nuclear power and radioactive waste, and fighting for sustainable energy, since 1978. We are leading campaigns to phase out nuclear power; advance climate justice, energy democracy, and the transformation to 100% renewable energy; fight for environmental justice throughout the nuclear fuel chain; and protect the health of people, the environment, and future generations from exposure to radiation. NIRS works with a broad range of environmental, social justice, climate action, and good government organizations, and brings the voices of local and grassroots activists into the national debate.
We are seeking a Digital Campaigns Specialist to lead our online campaigns and digital communications strategies. We are looking for someone to drive online organizing and activism across various campaigns and platforms; manage our website, communications, and social media platforms; assist with online fundraising; and expand our base of activists and supporters.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional writer, campaigner, and tactician with a record of success using online tools to tell the story of a campaign and mobilize people to take action. She/He/They will have the opportunity to help develop and implement communications strategies for a national organization on the leading edge of the environmental, climate, and energy democracy movements. A strong commitment to environmental and social justice is a must, as are creative problem-solving and a balance of collaborative work style and self-supervision.
NIRS seeks to advance justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion both in our organization and our mission-driven work. We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, Black, Indigenous, Latinx, AAPI, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, differently-abled people, and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.
The position is full-time, with employer-paid health care and other benefits.
- Digital Communications & Management: Work with the Executive Director to develop and execute NIRS’s communications strategy, including campaign, organizational, and fundraising goals.
- Draft and coordinate the scheduling of messages and action alerts to our email list.
- Manage our social media platforms, including establishing NIRS’s presence on Instagram and/or other channels.
- Coordinate with other staff to advance digital strategies in our campaigns, and support staff in using online advocacy tools.
- Manage online supporter database and advocacy platform, including occasionally technical aspects requiring basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and other web standards.
- Expand Online Fundraising: Identify and maximize online fundraising opportunities and support crowdfunding and other campaigns to expand our online donor base.
- Develop Publication Platforms: Administer NIRS’s website, blog, and social media channels. NIRS co-publishes an international news bulletin, the Nuclear Monitor, with our international affiliate, the World Information Service on Energy. The Digital Campaigns Specialist will have the opportunity to contribute to and promote the Monitor.
- Events: Participate in planning and executing other NIRS events and activities, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Exceptional writing skills for a variety of channels and audiences.
- At least 2 years of experience planning and executing online campaign tactics using a digital toolset (email, social media, advertising, blogs, etc.).
- Familiarity with the metrics of online organizing and ability to analyze data and extract conclusions.
- Ability to plan and implement multiple, complex projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to racial, gender, social, environmental, LGBTQIA+, and economic justice and appreciation of how issues intersect.
Preferred (but not required) skills:
- HTML, CSS, web development, WordPress theme development.
- Design software: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and others.
- Photography and video production.
- Fluency in Spanish.
Compensation: Salary range is $53,000-58,000. Competitive benefits package, including 100% employer-paid health care insurance, employer contribution to health savings account, life insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, family and medical leave, and professional development.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position. Some evening/weekend hours and travel are required. NIRS is headquartered in the Washington, DC metro area, but staff is working remotely through the pandemic. Relocation post-pandemic is negotiable.
Availability: We seek to have the successful candidate start by May 1, 2021.
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, references, and two writing samples (1-4 pages each) in Microsoft Word or PDF format to email@example.com.