SIGN THIS—AND GET YOUR LOCAL, STATE, PROVINCIAL and Other Entities to PASS THIS: Resolution to Stop Shipment of Radioactive Steam Generators on the Great Lakes & Dispersal into Consumer Goods Drafted on April 19, 2010
- Groups should sign on with the name of their group, their city, state/province and country/nation and a contact person, with title, if appropriate.
- Individuals should sign on with their name, their city, state/province and country/nation. We will not print email addresses or street addresses or websites.
The resolution opposes the transport of 16 to 32 large radioactive "steam generators" through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway to Sweden.
These objects are corroded boilers removed from aging nuclear reactors at the Bruce Nuclear Generating Station, sited on Lake Huron. The metals inside these boilers are contaminated with a wide variety of radioactive materials, some of which are very long-lived and exceptionally radiotoxic.
In Sweden, Studsvik plans to recover about 90% of the still-radioactive metal to be recycled as scrap intended for "unrestricted use". The remaining 10% would be shipped back to Bruce Power as radioactive waste.
We are opposed to the industry's plan to market radioactive waste materials to an unsuspecting, unconsenting public. We are also opposed to setting a dangerous precedent by allowing large radioactive components from decrepit nuclear reactors to be shipped across the Great Lakes.
The convoy planned for the Fall of 2010 is intended to transport 16 of the planned 32 radioactive steam generators across the Atlantic Ocean. The other 16 are intended to be shipped at a future date.
Download this petition to stop radioactive waste "recycling;" ask your friends and colleagues to sign (May 2001).
Use this Resolution Against Radioactive Waste and Materials Dispersal In Consumer Products