Aftermath
Friday, November 15th
The Castors have been delivered to their
"temporary" destination, the police have driven away in long convoys,
and life is quieting down in Wendland. There is time now to give you fuller
reports about what happened so quickly in the last days -- time for reflections
on what went right (or wrong) -- time for a more balanced assesment.
Somewhat Milder Police Tactics
The police seemed to have learned something from past
years -- they got by (they said) with far less force. In the end, "only" 16,700 police
were reported to be on duty. Many demonstrators got a different inpression, but
with so many police, who can count them all? Also, the police were obviously
told to act with decorum. The majority followed instructions (although
some police will remain forever
untameable.) This year there were far less beatings with clubs, no use of
unleashed dogs, no water cannons in action.
The well-prepared ambulance crews had almost nothing to do. However,
there were significant exceptions to this mildness; see below.
The makeup of the police force also seemed different.
Perhaps some of the more violent groups were told to stay home. But a far
greater force of young plainclothes police in the disguise of demonstrators
appeared on the scene.
A Battle for Public Opinion
Instead of brute force, the police this year fought a
media battle. Almost daily,
disinformative reports were issued. Some prime examples:
-- The police
reported that demonstrators had cut a hole in the Elbe river dike at Laase.
This scary story (people are specially sensitive because of recent flooding)
was quickly reported in all the media. "How irresponsible those
demonstrators are" was the tenor of these reports. But when dike inspectors arrived on the
scene, they found no damage -- the report had been a complete
fabrication. No retractions were
ever published -- the truth was not newsworthy.
-- At 10:55 a.m.
on November 13th, demonstrators managed to get onto the main rail line north of
Lüneburg, forming a blockade that caused an inter-city express train (ICE) to
stop: (The ICE trains run at high
speeds, approaching 200 km/hr.) The
police reported that the ICE had to effect an emergency stop Such a sudden stop would have been extremely
dangerous for the passengers. "Emergency stop" appeared in headlines
across the nation. Again, the tenor: "How irresponsible (and criminal)
those demonstrators are!" The
truth: the ICE was forewarned; it slowed gently and rolled to a stop
about 400 meters from the blockade. The "emergency stop" never
happened. This police lie was
sent out about Noon; the true story appeared on Intermedia about 2:00 p.m. All
the media check out the Intermedia coverage, but they all chose to stay with
the police version (more exciting). Even the next day, our local newspaper, the
Elbe-Jeetzel Zeitung, featured a
front-page headline: ATOM OPPONENTS RISK LIVES.
-- At 8:00 p.m. on November 13th, it was reported that
policemen were pelted with manure. The
true story: an angry farmer dumped some hay from his tractor onto a
road that was being blocked by police.
The hay might have smelled a bit, of course.
-- In a satirical revue on NDR (North German television
network), Minister Juttner of the Environment Ministry of Lower Saxony, made
his own satirical remarks. "Itīs OK, let the people in Wendland have their
yearly carnival parade," he said. "They wonīt change anything. After
all is said and done, the atomic waste will remain a local problem."
Chained Protestors Explain
The two persons who had chained themselves to the track
near Leitstade (see page 5) didnīt have a chance to hand out a press release
they had prepared. The media was
interested only in sensational photos, not in their reasons for being there.
Here are excerpts from their release:
"By this symbolic and peaceful action, we demand the
closing of all atomic plants. This
demand includes those who haven been damaged by the pure greed of uranium
mining companies, because uranium is the beginning of the spiral that ends in
atomic waste......"We want to express solidarity with the aboriginal
inhabitants of Jabiluka in Australia, where uranium mining not only poisons the
area, threatening their existence, but has also curtailed the right to assemble
and express an opinion -- all this in order to advance the private interests of
the mining companies....."Whatīs on the train thatīs coming here today
started out in Jabiluka. This freight can destroy not only our means of
existence, but also our basic human rights.
Itīs cynical to call nuclear power "clean energy". We have to
look at the whole, poisonous chain -- mining, refining, atomic power plants,
waste reprocessing -- and not just our own waste problem....."There will
be more of these spectacular actions, as long as this environmental damage
continues..... "Connected with this is our demand for the preservation of
basic human rights, which is necessary for people to live together in
peace."
Private School Entered Without Judicial Permission
-- School Principal Told to Leave
The Hitzacker Free School is a private high school
founded by local Anthroposophists and based on the principles of Rudolf
Steiner. It is located in a new building adjacent to the railroad track used by
the Castor train. When a fleet of 60
police vehicles, including a prison bus a water cannon, entered the school
grounds (rolling through the school garden), the school Principal protested,
asking the police leader for his identification and warrant. When she insisted
on her rights, the Principal was handed a "Platzverweis": (a police
document requiring her to leave the premises!). Later, police helikcopters
landed on the schoolīs parking lot.
Schoolchildren Mistreated
Adjancent to the Free School, a group of aboujt 100
persons, organised by Widersetzen but including many school pupils, staged a
sit-in on the track. They were quickly
overwhelmed by police, who carried them into a "Kessel" (an
encircling ring of police denying any access or egress). They were kept in the
Kessel for many hours, even though the Castor transport had passed in the
meantime. Lawyers were not permitted to visit the Kessel. The children had been
told that they could leave when the Castors had reached Dannenberg, but
instead, they were forced into prison busses and brought to the Detention
Centre at Neu Tramm
Police Detention at Neu Tramm: "Wanton
Disregard of Constitutional Rights"
A press release was issued by the Lawyersī Emergency Unit
at 11:00 p.m. on November 13th.
In the release, they charged that the police were holding
267 people illegally, without being charged or brought before a judge, in
wanton disregard of all legal and constitutional prescriptions. One lawyer
called the situation "bloodcurdling". "Prisoners are being
subjected to degrading accommodation," the release stated. "Although
they were arrested between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., they were
"parked" until the late evening in prison busses. Seven people were
stored for more than four hours in a cell of about 1-1/2 square meters. Even children and juveniles were locked in
narrow transport cells. Some of them
panicked in these cramped and uncertain conditions, nevertheless this ill treatment was continued
for hours by the police. Attending judges confirmed a "flagrant breach of
the imperative of immediateness".
The news release reported that detainees from the
Hitzacker "Kessel" (a closed ring of police),
many of them schoolpupils, had been treated particularly
badly. They were promised by the police that they would be released once the CASTOR reached Dannenberg -- this
promise was not kept. Instead, they had to spend hours in the
"Kessel", and after that, many more hours in the busses at New Tramm.
The lawyers further charged that they were denied free
access to the prisoners in the busses and cells. Contrary to the law and justice, requests by
the prisoners for contact with their lawyers were disregarded. Only after
strong complaints and demands of ministers and the members of the press were
children and juveniles finally brought before the court and released. Not one of the detentions was upheld by the
judges.
Protest Leader Brutally Beaten
At 7:25 p.m. on November 14th, the last of 12 Castors
rolled through the gates at Gorleben, thereby automatically ending all
restrictions on movement and assembly.
Nevertheless, the first moments of "freedom" can be specially
dangerous, as protest leader Jochen Stay discovered. Stay, a founder of the
"X-Tausend-Mal-Quer" movement, a non-violent organisation
based on Ghandian principles, was on his way to a press conference at Gedelitz,
where he planned to speak about the latest demo at Laase (see Page 7). When his
car was halted in a traffic holdup, Stay got out to investigate, and was
immediately recognised by five BGS policemen, who attacked him by forcing his
head several times against a car, throwing him to the ground, and stomping on
him. They then threw him brutally into a
police vehicle. The protest leader, who is now recovering from serious head
injuries, has filed maltreatment charges against his attackers. His case will also be discussed next week in
the Lower Saxony parliament, a Wendland parliamentarian promised.
.