- Why Yucca Mountain Would Fail as a Nuclear Waste Repository. July 2010.
- “Low-level” is NOT low risk. Updated NIRS Factsheet. April 2009
- "Low-Level" Radioactive Waste Disposal Sites in the U.S. April 2009
- Radioactive Wreck: The Unfolding Disasters of U.S. Irradiated Nuclear Fuel Policies. March, 2006
is NOT the Solution to the Nuclear Waste Problem.
- A Mountain of Waste 60 Years
High; NIRS brochure on the burgeoning radioactive waste problem.
(1.30 Mb, )
- Radioactive Waste Reprocessing.
NIRS factsheet. May 2005
Crossroads of the Nuclear Heartland
- NIRS factsheets on barge shipments of deadly high-level radioactive
waste on waterways by state (September 28, 2004):
- MD - Chesapeake
- VA - James River
- DE - Delaware Bay
- NJ, NY, CT - Waters
Surrounding New York City
- MA - Cape Cod Bay, Massachusetts
Bay, and Boston Harbor
- IL, MI, WI - Lake
- LA, MS - Mississippi
- TN, AL - Tennessee
- NE, KS, MO -
- CA - California
- FL - Florida’s
- The Top Ten Points on Yucca Mountain,
presented by Linda Gunter to nuclear dump opponents at the protests
against the dump targeted at Scanzano Jonico, Italy in December, 2003
- The Science and Politics of the Proposed
High-Level Radioactive Waste Dump at Yucca Mountain, Nevada, USA,
translated into Italian and presented to Italian radioactive waste dump
opponents by Linda Gunter during the Scanzano Jonico protests in December,
2003. November 28, 2003
- Fact Sheets (prepared by NIRS and Public Citizen):
- Fact sheet handed
to U.S. Senators as they walked through the U.S. Capitol lobby on
their way to vote urging them to sustain the State of Nevada’s
veto of the high-level radioactive waste dump targeted at Yucca Mountain,
July 9, 2002
- Hot Cargo: Radioactive
- When It Comes To Atomic
Waste Transportation, We All Live In Nevada. March 4, 2002
- Radioactive Waste "Recycling".
- Environmental Racism, Tribal Sovereignty
and Nuclear Waste. February 2001
- Why We Call It "Mobile Chernobyl".
- Why Yucca Mountain Will Leak.
- Radioactive Waste Transport: The German
Experience. May 1999
Train: The Truth is Out There... May 1999
- Oppose S. 1287, the Nuclear Waste Policy
Act of 1999, September 1999
- Radioactive Contamination
of the Drinking water supply beneath Yucca Mountain that Would Happen
if High-Level Radioactive Waste is Buried There,
- An Independent Commission
To Re-evaluate Radioactive Waste Policy. June 1997
- High Level Radioactive Waste. June 1997
- An Independent Commission to Re-evaluate Radioactive
Waste Policy, April 1995
- Emergency Planning for Nuclear Disasters. February 15, 2012
- Briefing Paper on Emergency Preparedness at U.S. Nuclear Reactors. 10 pages. February 15, 2012
- Safety Deficiencies
at Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Complex.
June 20, 2007
- The NRC’s Reactor Licensing Process: An Overview. A NIRS briefing paper on how reactors are licensed and factors to consider in participating in the process. September 2006.
- Best of Nuclear
May 20, 2005.
Can Happen Here. NIRS factsheet prepared for 19th anniversary of
Chernobyl nuclear accident.
April 26, 2005
- Nuclear waste
storage casks at reactor sites demonstrated to be vulnerable to terrorist
- NIRS Fact Sheet
focused on how natural phenomenon (tornadoes, floods, etc.) can
play a role in the risks from nuclear power.
- All nuclear reactors emit radiation on a routine
basis, endangering the health of people and the environment. The pamphlets
below, in printable pdf format, describe these releases and include
maps of specific regions of the country:
- Know Your Risks, Know Your Rights.
A brochure for nuclear industry workers.May, 2006 (,
- Cracking at
South Texas Nuclear Station Jolts Entire Industry, July 2003
Act: Unnecessary & Irresponsible, October 2001
and the Commercial Nuclear Industry, April, 2001
- Pebble Bed Modular Reactors,
- British Energy, Amergen,
and U.S. Nuclear Safety, September 25, 1999
- Calvert Cliffs
and Atomic Reactor License Renewal
- What does the IRS have to
do with decommissioning? A new tax bailout for nukes, July 1999
- Basic Info on MOX Fuel
- MOX and Nuclear Reactors
- MOX and Plutonium
- Nuclear Power Plant Fuel--Source
of Plutonium for Weapons?
- MOX and Plutonium Proliferation
- Nuclear Power Plant Fuel--a source
of Plutonium for Weapons?, July 1996
- Pressurized Water Reactors,
- Boiling Water Reactors, March
- New NIRS Briefing Paper: Nuclear Energy is Dirty Energy (and does not fit into a “clean energy standard”). If the radiation released routinely from nuclear reactors were the color and texture of oil, no one would ever again confuse nuclear power with “clean.” January 25, 2011.
- Amory Lovins describes the myriad of drawbacks to three reactor designs frequently touted by nuclear advocates and others hoping for some type of nuclear holy grail—i.e. a safe, affordable, reduced-waste atomic reactor. Lovins looks at Integrated Fast Reactors, Thorium reactors, and “small” modular reactors. Nope, the search for the grail is still on…..Reprinted from June 26, 2009 Nuclear Monitor.
- Nuclear Dragons to be Slain. Legislative Challenges for Spring 2009.
- March 2009: Who is Constellation Energy Consorting With? Get to know Electricite de France (EDF) and AREVA
- March 2009: At What Cost: Why Maryland Can’t Afford A New Reactor
- Think New Atomic Reactors Can be Built Cheaply and On-time? Think Again! February, 2008
- Controversial Loan Guarantees in Current Energy Bill October 17, 2007
- Why Wall Street Wants American Taxpayers to Finance Nuclear Power October 17, 2007
- Foreign Companies to Benefit from U.S. Taxpayer Loan Guarantees October 17, 2007
Energy Bill Provisions Undermine Constitutional Safeguards on Taxpayer Purse October 17, 2007
- Nuclear Power Loan Assistance Will Gobble Up Money For Innovative Technologies October 17, 2007
- Why New Nukes are
Coalition briefing paper on the economic risks of nuclear power, presented
to Wall Street analysts. July 8, 2006
- Nuclear Power: The
Next De-Generation. Nuclear provisions in the Energy Policy Act
- Dr. Strangelove
Rides Again: Nuclear Power Permeates Bush’s 2006 DOE Budget,
- Nuclear Production
Tax Credits and the Energy Bill, February 2004
- S. 2095 (energy bill) fact
- Fact Sheet on Domenici
nuclear resurgence bill (S 472), 2001